If you are thinking of moving house, purchasing land, equity release or looking to re-mortgage, we can assist you. Since there are many variables when calculating the legal fees, it is always best to contact us for a bespoke quote. Our prices depend on the price of property in question or the type of property, for example freehold/leasehold. Your matter will be handled by a legal specialist.
We work on a fixed fee basis so that you understand the cost of each transaction. Our conveyancing fee covers a report on tile, exchange of contracts, completion and registration of you as the new owners at HMLR.
Our role is to make your move as stress-free and smooth as possible. We will guide you through every step and will be available to answer any of your questions.
Sale / Purchase
We understand moving home can be stressful. We are CQS accredited and also members of the Equity Release Council. Our conveyancing department has many years experience. We are happy to guide you through the process of moving and will take a tailored approach to your needs and situation.
We understand you will want to plan on costs involved and some solicitors firms may provide you with what seems like a low quote but add a lot of bolt costs which inflate the initial figure significantly. At Judkins the fee covers everything – the fees listed below are fixed and on the basis that the matter is straightforward. If it is not then we will discuss any additional fees with you before proceeding.
Please note that we do not pay referral fees to third parties (e.g. estate agents or mortgage brokers).
|Fee excluding VAT
|Up to £500,000
|£500,000 to £1,000,000
VAT is payable in addition at the current rate of 20%.
Costs and disbursements
Disbursements are costs relating to your matter, that are payable to third parties – such as electronic money transfer and Land Registry fees. There are also costs that are incurred as part of the conveyancing process such as acting in a mortgage and completing a stamp duty return. We handle the payment of disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
The disbursements and costs that you will pay will vary whether it is a sale or purchase.
- Fees for acting on behalf of the mortgage lender: £250 + VAT
- Leasehold supplement fee £250 plus VAT
- Standard search fees: approximately £173 (this can depend on the Local Authority)
- Additional searches may be required
- Electronic money transfer fee: £35 plus VAT
- Preparation and submission of Stamp Duty return: £75 plus VAT
- Postage + copying fees: £30 plus VAT
- HM Land Registry Fees: sliding scale depending on purchase price (see table below)
HM Land Registry fees
|Fee excluding VAT
|Up to £200,000
|£200,000 – £500,000
|£500,000 – £1,000,000
- Leasehold supplement fee: £250 plus VAT
- HMRC copy entries: £6 per title
- HMRC copy documents: £6
- HMRC copy lease: £6
- Chaps fee to discharge mortgage/remit funds: £35 plus VAT
- Postage and copying fees: £30 plus VAT
In addition if the property is leasehold there are likely to be charges payable to the freeholder and/or management company and we can advise further once we have seen a copy of the lease. These are as follows:
- Notice of Transfer fee: between £50 and £120 plus VAT.
- Notice of Charge fee (if the property is to be mortgaged): this fee is set out in the lease and is between £50 and £120 plus VAT.
- Deed of Covenant fee: between £150 and £250 plus VAT.
- Certificate of Compliance fee: can range from £60 and £150 plus VAT.
- Leasehold information package (sale) circa £250 plus VAT.
- Completion of LPE1 (sale) circa £250 plus VAT.
Stamp Duty or Land Tax (purchase)
This depends on the purchase price of your property. You can calculate the amount you will need to pay by using the HMRC’s website: www.gov.uk/stamp-duty-land-tax/residential-property-rates
How long will my house sale take?
How long the sale will take depend on a number of factors. The average process takes eight to twelve weeks depending on the parties in the chain, return of searches and how quickly you receive your mortgage offer.
Other property transactions
We can also assist with the following:
- Property transfers – adding or removing a name form the title
- Equity release
- Land purchases
- Adverse possession
- Boundary disputes
Providing the matter is straightforward then we can offer fixed fees for the following services:
Vat is payable in addition at the current rate of 20% and disbursements also apply. To discuss further, please get in touch by telephone 01992 500456 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.